Friday 5 April 2013

Design Missionary


I have always been completely in awe of professions that enable lives to be saved. 
Doctors, Firefighters, Police Officers, Therapists, Scientists, Musicians, Veterinarians, Teachers, Humanitarians, Life Guards, Social Workers, Pastors, Missionaries. The list is endless.But what do I have to offer in the plight to save lives? I want what I do to actually matter, to make a difference. I want the opportunity to save lives.

I first became aware of Jay at Hillsong Conference last year. He spoke in a Creative Design lecture I was attending, where the things that he said radically changed the way I looked at all things creative and showed me a link between what I study, and my personal beliefs.

“Sometimes God has a hand in changing, influencing and giving you ideas in a prophetic sense so that your design can impact upon the people. All your creativity comes from God. He is the original creative.”

I can be a missionary, just like I’ve always wanted. What I do has the ability to speak to people outside of my Church, which means I can take God to places others cannot reach. I can bring people to know my God through my designs.

Jay uses his gifts in design a way I never dreamt possible. Being the Art Director of Hillsong Church is a platform that enables him to reach millions of people (considering that Hillsong United album ‘Zion’ reached #1 on the ARIA charts). He is someone I regard to be my biggest influence in continuing with graphic design, not just because of his creative work but by the purpose that drives him.

Now I can face my design future knowing that whatever I do and wherever I am, I can make a difference through what I do.“Sometimes God has a hand in changing, influencing and giving you ideas in a prophetic sense so that your design can impact upon the people. All your creativity comes from God. He is the original creative.”






You can find more of Jay’s work here.

Blog written by Danelle Morton.



No comments:

Post a Comment